Thursday, January 10, 2008

A VERY sad day

To remind some of you I am a huge sports fan. My loyalties have always been to the Wildcats as long as I can remember. At times living here during football season can be painful but I usually always have basketball to fall back on and we play them twice. Last night was a very sad evening when my Wildcats lost to the sun devils in overtime. Now while I won't take away the credit of this win because at the end of the day a win is a win I will remind all you sun devils that we were with out our leading scorer. I found this quote from Greg Hansen in the Arizona Daily Star (Tucson paper) and thought is summed things up

In a college sense, this is like it must've been for the Yankees of the late '60s — no Mantle, no Berra, no Ford, no Maris — and yet it didn't matter to the Twins and the Angels and their long-suffering baseball fans.
The bill had come due. There was no mercy.
It said "Yankees'' on the jersey, and even though it was Horace Clarke at second base and Bill Monbouquette on the mound, the fans delighted in dancing on the ghosts of the once-proud team from New York.
On Wednesday night, the long-proud UA basketball team was at times forced to play 6-foot-6-inch Fendi Onobun at center, anybody with a pulse and a uniform at point guard and Zane Johnson, making his college debut as a zone-busting shooting guard.
When the Sun Devils won 64-59 in overtime, you would have thought it was for a berth in the Final Four. Fans rushed the court. Sun Devil football coach Dennis Erickson raised his arms skyward and hugged celebrating fans. ASU athletic director Lisa Love walked down a corridor past the UA dressing room and gave an associate a high-five.

We will be back so enjoy it while it lasts!!

GO WILDCATS

6 comments:

Mauzy Fam said...

We were at that game last night. It was a very fun game to watch! Very intense! Tons of UofA fans too. We were going for ASU simply because we live here, but have no big ties to either team. Sorry your team lost. We got the tickets on the day of from Jordan's cousin who couldn't make it (he would have cheered for UofA).

Martha said...

Tawna dear,
I actually thought of you when I heard UofA lost! I know how big of a fan you are, and was not surprised one bit to see you comment on it on your blog. I'm anxious to read your blog each week and keep up on all your happenings. How's the job situation? How is your health doing?
Take care and hope to see you soon,
~Martha

Debbie said...

Tawna!!! so good to see that you have a blog and to "catch up" a bit on what you have been up to. I'm glad to hear that you are still a die hard Wildcats fan!!! I loved your post about the ASU/UofA game!! True, true stuff. Wouldn't it be fun to have a 4th ward reunion so we can all get together and hear first hand what everyone has been up to....I guess until then we still have the blogs!!

Becky said...

Sorry we all about the DEVILS! I'm glad you updated your blog!

Lisa said...

Tawna,
I don't know if you remember me, but I found your blog,(don't ask how because I don't know) and I just wanted to say HI!
You know what's funny I actually remember how big of a UofA fan that you are.
I'll have to tell Rachel that I found you. It looks like you doing good. I'm glad I found you.
Lisa(Allred)Oliver

Lisa said...

Oh by the way just in case you want to check out my blog it is
thatcherolivers.blogspot.com